Thursday, October 27, 2011

LUSCIOUS JACKSON + relates radness

NOSTALGIA.
Luscious Jackson rocked my world and locked my jaw in '94. I got NATURAL INGREDIENTS on vinyl. Baby blue vinyl.
Do I need to go through the history?
Kate Schellenbach used to drum for the Beastie Boys in their very early incarnation, before Luscious Jackson.
Grand Royal released Natural Ingredients.
They formed in '91.
Luscious Jackson's biggest hit was definitely Naked Eye. ('97)
They broke up in 2000.
In 1996 Vivian Trimble and Jill Cunniff from the band recorded a record under the name Kostars. 'Klassics With a K' was a dreamy album with lots of little toy keyboards and acoustic guitars and pretty harmonies.
Schellenbach and Josephine Wiggs (bassist for The Breeders) were girlfriends and released a 7" called THE KIMS WE LOVE, under the name Ladies Who Lunch. It featured 2 covers- A Sonic Youth one (Bull in The heather) and a Pixies one (Gigantic).
A genius concept indeed.
Anyways, this is like a history class, or Herstory class rather.
This stuff was such a major influence on me. I owe some of my blood cells to all the songs/projects below. Or a thousand breaths...


Luscious Jackson- City Song



Ladies Who Lunch- Bull in The Heather



Kostars- Never So Lonely

No comments:

Post a Comment